Monday, September 8, 2014

Alma 5




I once heard of a man who, a couple of days after having a fire in his fireplace, gathered the ashes and put them in a paper bag to use later when Spring came to spread upon his garden.  He placed the bag of ashes on the porch outside his kitchen where, even though the fire had gone out a couple of days before, the bag caught on fire and burned down the porch and most of the kitchen before it was extinguished.  How?  The embers which had been dormant in the fireplace were stirred up with oxygen and began to first smolder, then to burn. 

“And now, behold, I say unto you, my brethren, if ye have experienced a change of heart, and if ye have felt to sing the song of redeeming love, I would ask, can ye feel so now?” (See v. 26.)  The answer is a resounding “Yes!”  To anyone who feels that it’s too late, that the Spirit has been gone too long, I declare you can feel the first joy of a brand new testimony again.  Alma teaches us in Chapter 5 how to stir up our spiritual embers and jump start our faith.  For its simple practicality, I feel that Alma 5 is one of the most valuable chapters in all holy writings.

No comments: