Sunday, September 14, 2014

Alma 11




In verses 26 – 35 Amulek and Zeezrom discuss the doctrine that most separates Latter-day Saint theology from mainstream Christian theology, namely the doctrine of the Godhead.  Mainstream Christianity teaches of a Trinity, in which God, Christ and the Holy Ghost are three-in-one.  Before I discovered the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, this doctrine was confusing to me.  The best explanation I found was from a Baptist friend who explained an idea of three components of the same being by pointing out that I was simultaneously a daughter, a sister and a cousin. 

Latter-day Saints believe that the three are separate personages, not so much from teachings in this chapter and other scripture, but because Joseph Smith, Jr. saw God and Christ in a vision and saw them as separate beings.  Once I began reading the Bible and other scriptures with the thought that God and Christ are separate individuals who are one in purpose, what I was reading really began to make sense to me.

No comments: