Thursday, June 26, 2014

2 Nephi 4




After Lehi’s death, Nephi records a beautiful “psalm,” which begins in verse 16 and continues to the end of the chapter.  The sublime and timeless language doesn’t require much comment.  So I simply share my favorite excerpts:
v. 19 – And when I desire to rejoice, my heart groaneth because of my sins, nevertheless, I know in whom I have trusted.
v. 20 – My God hath been my support.
v. 26 – If the Lord in his condescension unto the children of men (the Lord’s condescension refers to His coming to earth to die for us) hath visited men in so much mercy, why should my heart weep and my soul linger in the valley of sorrow…because of mine afflictions?
v. 28 – Awake my soul!  No longer droop in sin.  Rejoice, O my heart, and give place no more for the enemy of my soul.
v. 31 – O Lord, wilt thou redeem my soul?  …Wilt thou make me that I may shake at the appearance of sin?
v. 34 – O Lord, I have trusted in thee, and I will trust in thee forever.

v. 35 – I know that God will give liberally to him that asketh…therefore I will cry unto thee, my God, the rock of my righteousness

No comments: