Monday, June 16, 2014

1 Nephi 16





In verse 29 we learn that sometimes by small means the Lord brings about great things.  The liahona was a small thing which led Lehi’s family through the wilderness to the Promised Land.  John the Baptist was one person who singlehandedly pointed many on the right path to salvation through Jesus Christ.   The entire world was saved by someone born as a single little baby who slept in a manger.  The fullness of the gospel was restored through a simple 14-year old boy.  The equation can be represented like this:  small means + the Lord = great things.  What can the Lord do through you?



For an artist's depiction of Lehi's finding the liahona, click here.

2 comments:

KaseyQ said...

I think it’s amazing how the things we are commanded to do seem like small things to us- like saying our prayers and reading our scriptures- but they can make all the difference in the world and change our whole lives. So many of us skip them with the idea that they don’t matter THAT much, but when you start doing them again everything changes!

SunnySuze said...

I have always loved this scripture, especially. I can easily become overwhelmed with large projects and timelines. But, just starting with the simple things and accomplishing one baby step, always gets me on my way. Even on most of my bad lupus days, I can get out of bed and start a load of laundry or clean up a bathroom or unload the dishwasher. Not a clean house, but a start. I can do a bit of family history consulting or visit teaching just with a phone call from my bed. The Lord does not require perfection all at once. But, he does expect for us to try, one step at a time, to do our best...even if it is only a small and simple thing we accomplish that day.